Saturday, January 11, 2014

Spelt Crackers

For many of us, January equals weight loss, or an at least an attempt to shed the excesses of the holidays or the past year.  I am no different.  Inevitably I am on some "new" diet to detox myself of sugar, gluten, corn, soy, alcohol, caffeine ... should I go on?

The fun part of going on these different diets, with different rules and eating regimes, is that I learn about foods that I would have never eaten otherwise.  Enter spelt.  Since I am prohibited from eating refined carbs on this 28-day challenge, I searched out different flours.  It turns out there are many.  Almond, coconut, flaxseed, arrowroot, quinoa, and spelt flour to name a few.

I attempted to make spelt spaetzle.  Not good.  Since spelt flour doesn't have much gluten, the spaetzle were flabby and without toothiness.  So I started thinking about foods that don't need much structure or lift.  Crackers seemed perfect.

And they were.  Light, thin, crunchy, and easy to make, spelt crackers are a delicious and much more economical alternative to Wheat Thins or other crackers.  You can top them with anything you like, including salts and different seeds.


No comments: