- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces andouille sausage, chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 ounces mushrooms, stems trimmed, wiped clean, and sliced
- 6 boiled artichoke hearts, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon leaves
- Toasted sliced French bread, accompaniment
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, remaining Essence, cheese, and butter and set aside.
In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in batches as necessary and cook until browned on each side, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add the sausage and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until almost browned, about 4 minutes. Add the onions, garlic, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are soft and give off their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the reserved flour and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chicken, artichokes, stock, cream, green onions, parsley, and tarragon, stir, and bring to a boil. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture evenly over the top and bake until bubbly and the top has a golden crust, about 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve hot over toasted French bread.