Monday, March 21, 2011

Kulinarya Vegetable Challenge: Bok Choy & Shiitake Mushroom Sotanghon


For this month's Kulinarya challenge, Erika of Ivoryhut picked vegetables.  

I was never one of those kids whose mother admonished, "Eat your vegetables!"  And no, it wasn't because I dove into the green stuff with gusto.

My mom didn't nag me, because she didn't eat vegetables herself.  She is a strict carni-, black coffee-, and orange soda-vore.  And she doesn't cook either.

This leaves me in a bit of a quandary.  Make a Filipino vegetable dish?  I don't think I know one.

So I made my own vegetable dish with veggies I happened to have in the fridge: baby bok choy and sliced shiitake mushrooms.  I sauteed them with garlic and ginger, a little rice wine and a shot of oyster sauce.  I served them over sotanghon, bean thread noodles, which I soaked in hot chicken broth until they were tender.

Does that count?  I hope so.  If not, it was good chow anyway.

*****

If you’re interested in joining our Kulinarya Cooking Club and participating in its monthly challenges, please visit http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/kulinarya, and become a fan on our Facebook page.   Kulinarya was started by a group of Filipino foodies (Kath, Trisha and Trissa) living in Sydney, who are passionate about Filipino culture and its colorful cuisine.  You don't have to be a Filipino or have a food blog to join, and you can participate as much or as little as your time and interest allows.  Everyone is welcome.



15 comments:

SKIP TO MALOU said...

Oh Ninette, this definitely counts. It's "gulay" on top of sotanghon, so it's still a vegetable dish haha.. we're having sotanghon too tonight but it's with chicken and chicharon... far from being a vegetable dish haha... would love to trade it with this healthier alternative.. of bokchoy and shitake...

chef_d said...

That's a gorgeous vegetarian sotanghon! I think I will borrow this recipe, thanks for sharing!

Caroline said...

YES this counts definitely! An easy, simple AND delicious recipe for pancit sotanghon, yum.

Annie said...

Anything with "gulay" counts! Specially if it's as good as your sotanghon dish.

Adora's Box said...

Count me in. I say "that counts", too. I actually stir fry green veg with dried shitake and sotanghon, same as this but with more veg than sotanghon. Yum.

Wok with Ray said...

Unless you are talking about a Filipino asking for "Dis Counts". . . Of course this counts! You have all the components of a delicious Filipino Vegetarian Pancit Sotanghon. Now if you will let me have a bowl of your Sotanghon. Okay, make it a big bowl, with some calamansi and patis, I will tell you all about how to get Filipino Dis Counts. :) Thanks for sharing Ninette.

oggi said...

Oh I love your bokchoy and mushroom sotanghon. It's simply delicious and tunay na gulay dish.

Joy said...

Ohh that looks great. I love that you used shiitake mushroom.

cusinera said...

I love mushrooms, and with sotanghon...give me a plate anytime. Of course this counts=)

Cherrie Pie said...

This looks delicious. It's greatto just grab what ever you have in the pantry and fridge and make a beautiful meal out of it.

Jen said...

Maybe I'll try this dish tomorrow, as I have all the ing. in my pantry right now ;-)

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Ninette! I've been following you for a while and I love your food! (sorry I didn't have a chance to leave a comment). Tomorrow I'll be nominating you for Sisterhood Of The World Bloggers Award, so please check my post!

rental elf said...

Very nice, thanks for the information.

Dmarie said...

looks like really good chow to me!

pharmacy said...

Great post! Keep it up the good work and also keep posting.