Friday, October 22, 2010

Leftover Maven: Filipino Pork Adobo

I love leftovers, but my husband won't eat them.

Lucky for me that I have a particular knack for reinventing leftovers, so they are leftovers no more.

Tonight I had some leftover pork roast with linguisa that my mother-in-law made.  I cut the pork into chunks, threw it into a pressure cooker with some chicken broth, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and ginger ... voila!  Filipino pork adobo.  I even mixed in the leftover gravy into the sauce. Delicious!

What did I do with the leftover linguisa? Made fried rice of course.

Leftover Maven Pork Adobo

Leftover pork roast, cut into cubes (you can use uncooked pork too)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice or white vinegar
1 can chicken broth and water enough to cover meat
2-3 cloves garlic, smashed
2 coins ginger (take ginger and cut 2 slices, making "coins")
1 bay leaf
Freshly ground pepper

Add everything in a pot except ketchup and bring to simmer.  Cover and cook until pork is tender.

Remove pork from liquid and pat dry with paper towels.  Bring remaining liquid to a boil and let it reduce by 1/2.  Brush pork lightly with ketchup.

Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot.  Add a little oil.  Pan fry pork until it's browned and a little crispy. The ketchup will help the browning process.

Add pork back to the liquid and serve with white rice.


Anonymous said...

Since I fought in WWII in the Phillipines (I am COLONEL Kenneth Wayne Treuter, Esquire), I no longer have a hankering for Flipino food.

But thank you for sharing your recipe with those who did not have to suffer pure hell in rescuing the Filiponos from the low-life japs.

Barbara Bakes said...

What a great way to use leftover pork. I've been wanting to buy a pressure cooker. What kind do you have?

phosphorus sky said...

The recipe is greatly appreciated; the "anonymous" comment referring to Japanese people as "low life" is not. If you no longer have a desire for a certain type of food, then say so and let it end there.

You personalized your comment in a way that is hurtful and not to mention rude. I love how you made a point to mention that you were a Colonel and even connected an unoffical term of respect to the end of your name when clearly you've not shown any... Mr. Esquire.

Medifast Coupon said...

Very good use of some leftover pork, and aren't you just the smartest. I actually had pork roast yesterday for sunday dinner, I can't wait to try your suggestions. Family is going to be surprised.

Joy said...

That looks great. Hmmm adobo

Dinner at Six Thirty said...

A great way to reinvent leftovers! :) And I love adobo!

Anonymous said...

Colonel Treuter, the war has been over for a long time and I am sure that you ate a lot of their food. I have a lot of friends that also do not like certain foods but also be assured that there are more that likes it than dislikes. Your comment about low lifes seems odd coming from a person who had ?? rank?? Have been in many countries and have always tried different foods and LOVED it. Retired E8.