Sunday, September 5, 2010

Thai Chili Shrimp and How I Take Pictures for the Blog

What do you do when you have little time but need to get dinner on the table?

I used to exercise the "pick up the phone" option quite a bit, but moving to a new house has changed our dining habits.  We don't pass through town anymore to get home, nor do we live close to the major shopping and eating roads. 

It seems a lot more convenient to grab a skillet and get to cooking.

Dinner took 5 minutes tonight and used only 5 ingredients: shrimp, garlic, oil, soy sauce and Mae Ploy Thai chili sauce.

Sweet and spicy, Thai chili sauce is very versatile.  It can be used as a dip for spring or summer rolls, brushed on chicken or shrimp as a BBQ glaze, used in stir fries ... the sky's the limit.  It's a great thing to have in one's pantry for quick dinners.

On another note, my colleague Jeorge, who is a photographer, asked how I take my pictures.  My set up is primitive and looks like this:

I use a Lowel Ego photo light and something white to bounce the light back toward the food. My digital Canon Rebel -- one of the first digital cameras sold -- is so old that my new laptop doesn't recognize it. Maybe it's time to upgrade, but as a blogger, I think anyone can take good pictures without lots of investment.

Try this dish out with some white rice and a sauteed green vegetable.  Fast and delicious!

Thai Chili Shrimp

1 lb. large shrimp, defrosted
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. soy sauce
Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce
Heat a skillet over medium high heat.  Add a little oil and saute garlic for 10 seconds.  Add shrimp and stir fry until opaque, a couple minutes.  Add a little soy sauce for flavor and sweet chili sauce to coat (as much or as little as you like.


♥¸¸.•*¨Skip to Malou¨¨*•.¸¸♥¸ said...

YOu're right about Mae Ploy that's why I always have a bottle in my pantry. It always comes in handy when you need it. This looks like a dish that you could whip up on a fly.

Thanks for sharing your Photo set-up. I always rely on the sun but there are times when I want to shoot at night but couldn't do it, so this helps. I bought white poster boards before so I could use that but what is on the left side?

Thanks again!

La Table De Nana said...

That looks like a neat setup~
And the shrimp look great..Hope you are happy in your new home~

zurin said...

Those shrimps look really good. I like the chillie sauce ingredient. The set up is pretty much like mine except that I dont have the light. I depend wholly on sunlight wh is not very convenient or reliable at times.

Joy said...

I love that light. Thanks for the tips. Great recipe.

Jackie at said...

Love the way your reflect the dish. I usually use natural lighting and if the dish is made too late, then I don't post the recipe :P Maybe I should invest in one of those magic digital imaging lights hehe

ziggy said...

this is very true. last sunday was a lazy day for the entire family. we didn't want to do anything except to sink in the bed and watch Fringe. Good thing there were prawns in the fridge. 10 minutes max, we were already eating with a very similar recipe. only I used butter, garlic, sugar and stock. done!

cheerios to the photography moment!

Table Talk said...

Shrimp really is the best "fast food" out there. I have whipped together many a dinner on the fly with some shrimp out of the freezer.
These look beautiful and spicy just the way I like them.
Hope you are enjoying your new home!

Erin said...

This sounds delicious!
However, can the soy sauce be eliminated? Also, what are the ingredients in the chili sauce? I looked on Amazon, but they weren't listed...

Ninette said...

Yes, you can leave out the soy sauce, and the ingredients in the Mae Ploy sauce is: palm sugar, red chili, vinegar, garlic, salt, water.

♥peachkins♥ said...

It looks good! BTW, you should see how much more primitive my way of taking picture is... I should buy that kind of light..

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Thanks for showing us your simple dinner, and your simple lighting setup. You really don't need a lot to make it good!

cusinera said...

the shrimp looks really delicious=) I love your photo setup, need to do mine soon..just recently got a portable light box on sale...I'm still in the kindergarden stage in photography...

Culinary Cory said...

I have the same light set-up. Except I ended up buying two to help balance the light and control shadows. I love them. They really help to make the food come alive. Plus, they are the best during those dark evenings in the winter.

I agree. As a blogger, I believe you can get great shots without a huge investment. I didn't want to spend $1,000 on a camera. So I ended up buying a Nikon P100 and LOVE it. I think it's the best camera for food blogging.