Saturday, June 19, 2010

Packing Up My Kitchen Today -- What Would You Keep as Your Essentials?

I hope everyone is doing well in the food blog world. I miss my virtual friends!

Since we put our house on the market in early May and sold in mid-May, it's been a whirlwind of emotion. We had a beautiful house -- the price was right, the location was right, and the timing of the move was perfect. We were soaring with excitement over our accepted offer on the new house and were moving forward with the paperwork, building inspection, etc. A week later, a counteroffer came in and we lost the house. After that, we descended into the valley of frantic house searching. Every time we were putting a bid on a house, another bid would come in. I thought to myself, I must be the good luck fairy for home sellers! Then we were in another negotiation where after we had agreed to a price, the seller came back and demanded list price.

Where is the famed buyer's market everyone has been talking about?

With all the craziness, I have cooked 3 times in the last six weeks, and today, I will pack up my kitchen. I gutted and renovated my kitchen in 2006, so it is with some regret that I will leave my cherry cabinets, my pantry with the pull-out shelves, my hot/cold water dispenser on my sink, and all the nifty things I put in.

Since we don't have a place to live yet, the contents of our house will go into storage as of June 30, the kids will go live with their grandparents for the summer, and Mark and I will housesit at a friend's house for the month of July. Hopefully, we will have a house by mid-August before school starts.

So as I face today's task of packing of my kitchen, I am thinking through what are my essentials that I will not put in storage. I'll report later what I kept, but what would you keep close to you if you had to pack up your kitchen?


Steve said...


Absolute first pot!

Good luck to you! Nice to see you back, if just for a short while.

SSI said...

Great Question and I am going to be following along looking at the suggestions...I hope to be packing up my kitchen someday soon myself!

Steve has me thinking and I would agree with him...gotta have my coffee. Or Starbucks would make a fortune while my coffee pot is packed.

Barbara Bakes said...

Good luck with the packing. "When God closes a door somewhere he opens a window." Hopefully, your perfect window will open soon.

Mary said...

There is a house out there that's meant for you. Keep smiling and keep looking. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Debi (Table Talk) said...

I hope your time during this transition goes smoothly~can be frustrating, I know. When you unpack in your new kitchen you will appreciated all of the items that were boxed up.
When I am away from my kitchen (but still cooking), I travel with a few of my favorite knives---they play a huge role in my cooking.
Happy summer!

Trissa said...

Good luck Ninette - I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you - same thing happened to us before as well - our offer was accepted and then another came in etc... but in the end it all worked out for the best! Definitely, take your chef's knife!

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Ninette I feel for you. If it makes you feel any better, I agree with Mary. There is a house out there for you. Better than you could ever imagine. I know this to be true because I too had these sorts of problems in a "buyers market" and lo and behold, I moved in this past January.

As for necessities, I need my cookbooks with me at all times but unfortunately, that can't always happen. Next up, definitely the coffee pot!!

Good Luck. Keep us informed:)

Olive said...

Hi Ninette! :)

Don't worry, you'll find your perfect house eventually, the one that's really meant for you :)

speaking of kitchen essentials, I'll keep my knife and KA mixer with me.

Good Luck and God Bless! :)

Culinary Cory said...

I say...imagine you are a college student again. A fork, spoon, bowl, plate and a pot for ramen noodles. :)