Monday, March 29, 2010

Barcelona-inspired Fennel Salad with Manchego Cheese and Sunflower Seeds


Barcelona Wine Bar is one our favorite restaurants.  They have wonderful tapas, and they released a great cookbook last year.  Click here for some of the recipes I've tried.

The other night we added their fennel salad to the parade of tapas at our table.

I had never had fennel salad, but this brightly flavored salad with nutty Manchego cheese and crunchy sunflower seeds won me over from the first bite. I love it!

The next day, I ran to the grocery store and bought some fennel, red onion, sunflower seeds, and Manchego cheese.  A mandoline made quick work of shaving the fennel and red onion, and a quick marinade in a white wine vinaigrette and topping of cheese and sunflower seeds brought this salad to our table in no time.

If you've never had shaved fennel salad, I recommend that you try this salad.  It's also great on top of a green salad.

Barcelona-inspired Fennel Salad with Manchego Cheese and Sunflower Seeds

2 fennel, shaved
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tbs. sherry wine vinegar (or white wine, red wine, or other vinegar)
3 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Shredded manchego cheese
Roasted sesame seeds
Parsley, finely chopped




7 comments:

NeerraaZZ said...

nice....more vegetarian recipies
NeerraaZZ

Trissa said...

I love fennel salad - but have always had it with oranges - I love this combination. I must get this book soon Ninette - all the recipes you've done look amazing!

Trisha said...

I love the almost aniseed taste of fennel and like Trissa, I've almost always had it with oranges or something citrusy. Mmmmm craving for something sour right now...

La Table De Nana said...

We love fennel salads..I have never paired mine with cheese..this sounds delish..Thank you.

~~louise~~ said...

I love Fennel Salad too and thank goodness, I just bought some for Sunday's Dinner. Must check for the rest of the ingredients, wish me luck!!!

Thanks for sharing, Ninette...

Steve said...

Ninette,
Simple and delicious looking. This is why you're on my blogroll! Good luck with the hip.
Steve
http://www.myfavoriteflavours.com

Marc @ NoRecipes said...

Love how simple this is. It took me a while to start liking fennel, but now I can't get enough.