Friday, December 11, 2009

Cookie Swap: Ruth's Florentine Cookies




When I heard my friend Julia's daughter, Monika, say excitedly, "Oh, thank you for making the cookies!," I knew Ruthie had made her famous Florentine cookies.

Crispy, airy, and with a smear of chocolate on the backs, these cookies are coveted items at the cookie swap.

Along with being a very talented baker, Ruthie is a master crocheter and expert on all things Disney.

She also makes the most delicious Mexi-dip. She has to bring it to every party for me; otherwise I will cry.

Ruthie's helpful hint: make these cookies on a dry day with no rain, snow or humidity.



Florentine Cookies
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2 cups Quick Oats
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup of flour
2/3 cup of butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

One 12oz. package of Dark or Milk chocolate kisses or chips. Pastry brush and double boiler.

Heat butter (low heat) in sauce pan then add sugar and vanilla. Mix flour, salt and oats then add to sauce pan. Add corn syrup and milk and mix well. Remove from heat.

Work fast for the mixture will thicken quickly. Do not re-heat mixture. Place mixture by level teaspoon on foil lined baking sheets and spread thin about 3 inches apart. Bake for 6-8 minutes until light brown. Let cool on foil then remove and place on wire rack.

For chocolate coating - place kisses or chips in a double boiler and stir until melted. Do not let the water boil in the double boiler for the chocolate will burn.

Brush a light coating on the back side of cookies and let dry completely before placing in an airtight container. Stack cookies chocolate side together and layer with wax paper in container.

FYI these cookies will last for about 6 weeks in an airtight container.

14 comments:

zurin said...

What a good idea to have cookie swaps! u get so much variety and tastes!! these florentines look delicious Ninette. mmmm

savoryseduction said...

Oooo those are gorgeous.

Margaret V said...

What is the yield? I'd love to make these for a cookie swap, but need to know how many times to duplicate the recipe :) Thanks for sharing!

Ninette said...

About 3 1/2 dozen cookies, Margaret V. Thanks. I'll add that to the recipe.

Margaret V said...

Thanks :) and again for the recipe. I look forward to making it.

Jessica said...

What should I do if I can't fit all the mixture on cookie sheets to bake at one time? You mentioned to not reheat the mixture.

Should I spread it all out on foil sheets at the beginning, whether they can be baked right away or not?

Thanks for your help on what looks like a tasty cookie!

Liz Opp said...

My partner pointed me to your blog. I've made similar cookies but using chopped pecans instead of oats. I never thought to add a swish of chocolate to them, though. Yum!

And since I see you participate in cookie swaps, I'll add that the first time I made the "lace cookies"--that's what they were called in the recipe I used, which sadly I don't have online yet--was for my very first cookie swap.

I wasn't planning on making these this year, but I think your post has changed my mind!

Blessings,
Liz

P.S. The recipe blog we maintain is Yummyliciousness.

Lindsay M. Allen said...

Is the "1/4 light corn syrup" actually 1/4 *cup* of light corn syrup? I assume so, but I wanted to be sure so I don't goof up the recipe!

Ninette said...

Lindsay, yes, you're right... it's 1/4 cup light corn syrup. I've added that correction to the recipe. Thx for catching it!

Jen said...

These are absolutely delicious! I couldn't fit them all on one sheet so I left the mixture on the lowest heat setting on the stove. Worked out just fine.

Ninette said...

Great idea, Jen!!

Merut said...

I just wanted to let you know I found your awesome blog and made these cookies. Thanks so much for sharing!

Ellen Zames said...

I found your blog searching for Florentine Cookies for our annual cookie swap we have in December. This recipe sounds perfect! New Follower!!

Ellen
http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

Ellen Zames said...
This comment has been removed by the author.