Monday, November 9, 2009

Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Sauce and Parmesan Shards



I bought a spaghetti squash for the first time. My sister-in-law Tina told me a long time ago that this was a great, healthy substitute for using pasta, and today was my day to try it.

The prep is simple. Basically you cook it, either in the microwave or in the oven (or both, as I did), until it's soft, and you shred it with a fork. Serve with flavorings and/or sauce of your choice.

The squash was so hard that I found it difficult to cut in half. To get around that, I poked holes in the squash with a metal skewer and microwaved it on a plate for 5 minutes on high, so that it would soften a little.

I let it cool for a few minutes, cut it in half, brushed it generously with olive oil, and roasted it at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes until it was soft.

I shredded it, salted and peppered it, and served it with marinara sauce and big shavings of parmesan. It was absolutely delicious.

Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Sauce and Parmesan Shards

1 spaghetti squash
Olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, smashed
Butter

Finely chopped scallions
Salt and pepper
Parmesan shavings
Marinara sauce

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

While oven is heating, poke squash with a metal skewer several times to create steam holes. Put on a plate and cook on high in the microwave for 6 minutes.

Take it out of the microwave and let it cool a few minutes. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Brush the cut sides generously with olive oil. Rub the cut sides with the smashed garlic, drop the garlic into each half and put a pat of butter on top of each garlic.

Put cut sides up on a cookie sheet and into the oven. Roast until the squash is soft and easily shreds with a fork lengthwise, 30 to 50 minutes depending on the size of the squash. Squash will also be lightly browned on the edges.

Shred squash and put in a serving bowl. Remove large garlic pieces and discard. Salt and pepper to taste. Add sliced scallions and parmesan. Serve with marinara sauce on the side.


10 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

It's a beautiful dish!! I bet it was delish..I have such a hard time cutting squash in half:(

Thank you for the idea!!

Lauren said...

Gorgeous dish! I love the idea of spaghetti squash - so simple and delicious =D.

Melanie said...

This week I replaced udon noodles with spaghetti squash in a sesame noodle dish, and even that worked wonderfully! Spaghetti squash is amazing.

Federica said...

bellissimo questo piatto! colorato e invitante!

Carrie said...

This looks like such a great supper! I love the Parmesan shards on top. I'm actually trying spaghetti squash for the first time myself tonight!

Kevin said...

Great way to enjoy some spaghetti squash!

3 hungry tummies said...

oh it is my second time seeing this squash today, it looks very tasty

Anonymous said...

Why do the ingredients list a butternut squash?

Ninette said...

Thanks for catching the error. It's supposed to be spaghetti squash. I will fix it!

Phillis said...

Pretty helpful material, thanks so much for the article.