Saturday, November 21, 2009

Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Leeks


The only time I make mashed potatoes is for Thanksgiving. Other than that, I rely on my Irish American mother-in-law to make them when we're over her house for dinner.

12 baking potatoes, skinned and cut into cubes
4 large leeks
2 tbs. butter
1/2 stick butter (optional)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk

Boil potatoes with salt for 15-20 minutes.

Simmer leeks in chicken broth for 3-4 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Puree.

Drain potatoes and put through a ricer or mash. Add leeks, sour cream, butter, and milk, adding the milk slowly so that you don't put too much and then have watery mashed potatoes.

Add more salt and pepper to taste.

Can be reheated in microwave before serving.

4 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Since I am a little girl..they are staples to me.. w/ age.. and experience they have become Gourmet to me..Yours w/ the leeks sound wonderful! have a GREAT day!!!!

Ravenous Couple said...

happy thanksgiving!

Trissa said...

Sour cream? I never knew - that must be delicious! Happy Thanksgiving!

Culinary Cory said...

Such a nice twist on a classic favorite. Love the addition of the leeks.