Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Daring Bakers October 2009 Challenge: Macarons

The 2009 October Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to us by Ami S. She chose French Macarons from Claudia Fleming’s The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern as the challenge recipe.


It was one of those days. A day of failures. Including the macarons.

But in failure exists the opportunity to learn something new.

My macarons didn't foot. I have to read a little bit to find out why, but I suspect we didn't beat the eggs to the proper stage, and we didn't mix the dry ingredients into the meringue the right way.

I also burned the bottoms of the tinted macarons, because they were too close to the bottom heat source.

Still, the macarons were tasty. Light, a little sweet, and with an appealing chewy texture.

One was a raspberry swirl with raspberry filling. The other was a cocoa-dusted macaron with nutella filling.

So what did I learn from today's failures?

That I can always try again. After a good night's sleep. :)

For the recipe and to see all the macaron variations made by Daring Bakers members, click here.

For some great tips, click here to read Helen of Tartlette's article on macarons in Desserts Magazine.


The Little Teochew said...

Oh, we ALL have such days! But still, you did it! At least you tried. I'm still too chicken. The raspberry swirl one has a very pretty colour.

Aviva O'Byrne said...

I'm with you. I had a terrible day. One in which I wanted all computers to die and staffing agencies to go under. Then I baked, and even though they weren't perfect I feel better. I hope we both have sunnier days tomorrow!

La Table De Nana said...

I think they look good!!Of course many days are like that..I agree you tried..I did too once and wasn't over the proverbial moon..I have to try again:)

Aviva..baking..is like gardening..a cure all:)

Lauren said...

I love the colours you chose! They look so cute - not bad at all!!

Barbara Bakes said...

I love the pink swirl ones! A raspberry filling sounds great too!

Ellie said...

We all have one of those bad day! Love the flavours!!