Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Leftover Maven: Chicken and Potato Curry



I had some leftover coconut curry sauce from the The Daring Kitchen August 2009 Challenge.

I also had a rotisserie chicken in the fridge, and my co-worker Kate gave me some potatoes from her garden.

Serendipity!

Now I had everything to make a quick, quick, and let me say, QUICK, chicken and potato curry to eat with, you got it, leftover rice.

All I have to say is "Yum"!

Chicken and Potato Curry


Potato
Rotisserie chicken
Coconut curry sauce (recipe below)

Rice

Peel and cut potato, one or more depending on what you want, into medium-size pieces. Put in a small pot filled with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender.

While the potatoes are boiling, cut up part of a rotisserie chicken, as much as you need, into medium size pieces. Put leftover curry sauce and heat to a simmer in a pot on the stove.

When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and add them to the sauce. Add the chicken to the sauce to heat through.

Serve over cooked white rice. Enjoy!

Coconut Curry Sauce
from The Daring Kitchen August 2009 Challenge
This makes a great sauce to just pour over rice as well. This does freeze well, but the texture will be a little different. The flavor is still the same though.

1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic
½ (2½ gm) tsp cumin, ground
¾ (3¾ gm) tsp sea salt (coarse)
3 TBSP (30gm) curry powder
3 TBSP (30gm) spelt flour (or all-purpose GF flour)
3 cups (750ml/24oz) vegetable broth
2 cups (500ml/24oz) coconut milk
3 large tomatoes, diced

1.Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and garlic, cooking for 5 minutes, or until soft.
2.Add the spices, cooking for 1 minutes more. Add the flour and cook for 1 additional minute.
3.Gradually stir in the vegetable broth to prevent lumps. Once the flour has been incorporated, add the coconut milk and tomatoes, stirring occasionally.
4.Let it simmer for half an hour.

4 comments:

The Little Teochew said...

And all I have to say is, "Please?"

foodhoe said...

Oh your pictures are delicious and gorgeous! I don't think I've ever had curry with cumin and coconut milk, some of my favorite flavors.

Jackie at Phamfatale.com said...

I love improvisation cooking, you always get wonderful (and creative) results. Just gorgeous!

Sophie said...

MMMMMMMMMMM,...

Your recipes & pictures are always winners!!