Saturday, August 1, 2009

Oreo Truffle Balls


I was with my friend Gary the other day, and he told me that people inhale these oreo cookie balls he makes. The recipe is so simple that I had to try it.

All it is is one package of oreos, one package of cream cheese, and some melted dipping chocolate. You mix the oreos and cream cheese together, form them into small balls, coat them in chocolate, and voila, you have an easy treat.

I coated the balls in milk chocolate and white chocolate and rolled them in different ground toppings -- banana chips, almonds, oreos, almonds, and Heath Bar Crunch bits.

The cookies were crunchy on the outside from the rolled toppings and as soft as truffles on the inside. We did a taste test and there was no clear winner. I would say try them all. Next time I make these, I will not ground the toppings as finely as I did this first time around, so there will be more crunch.

This is a great recipe to make with the kids, for the holidays, or during hot weather when you don't want to turn on the oven.

To make them extra pretty, you can also just coat them in chocolate and then pipe on a zig zag pattern on the top with a contrasting chocolate.

Oreo Truffle Balls

1 package Oreo cookies
8 ounces cream cheese
1 package Baker's semisweet, milk chocolate, or white chocolate

Ground oreos, almonds, banana chips, or heath bar chips



Place the cookies in a food processor and process until fine or mash them by hand. Add softened cream cheese and process until combined. Roll into small balls the size of walnuts and freeze for 15-20 minutes.

Melt chocolate according to the directions on the package. Or you can put the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 15 seconds at a time, stirring at the end of each cycle, until the chocolate is fully melted.

Using a wooden skewer or toothpick, dip each ball into the chocolate , roll in topping if you like (you also don't have to roll them in anything) and place on a cookie sheet. Put in fridge or leave on the counter until the chocolate hardens.

Enjoy.

6 comments:

The Little Teochew said...

Looks amazing. I doubt they live to see the next day. Good holiday project for my kids! Thanks for sharing a great idea :)

zurin said...

Wow! my (big) boys will love this. what a good idea and so easy n quick an impressive looking too..thanx for sharing :)

Sophie said...

MMMMMMM,...how lovely these little treats look!

Delicious!

La Table De Nana said...

I have seen these! Yours are picture perfect!

Anne said...

I love these things! I was just going to pick up the necessaries for them this week, too - you've re-inspired me!

foodhoe said...

Those look delicious! Seriously easy recipe too, sounds like something I might be able to pull off...