Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Old Bay Steamed Shrimp


Old Bay Seasoning is my best friend when it comes to getting one of the simplest and fastest, but most flavorful and enjoyable dishes on the table, Old Bay Shrimp.

And you'll always know where the recipe is: on the back of the Old Bay Seasoning container.



A little vinegar, a little water, a little Old Bay Seasoning, and shrimp. Steam a few minutes until done.

Ta dah! Your family will love you forever.

Note: If you can't get Old Bay where you are, click here for a copycat recipe.

Old Bay Steamed Shrimp

1/2 cup cider vinegar or beer
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons OLD BAY® Seasoning (or to taste - I like more!)
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, leaving tails on

In a medium saucepan, mix vinegar, water and OLD BAY. Bring to boil on medium heat. Gently stir in shrimp, then cover.Steam 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Drain well.

Serve with rice and veggies for a meal, serve with cocktail sauce for an appetizer, or just eat them solo.


13 comments:

The Little Teochew said...

I'll eat them solo, thank you very much!

Aggie said...

This is classic...I love Old Bay and shrimp...yum.

Justin said...

i think somebody swiped my old bay seasoning... seriously

Jackie at PhamFatale.com said...

I love shrimp. Your prep seems so easy and simple to make. Never heard of it before (maybe because I'm French) I have to get this seasoning. Where can I find it?

Ninette said...

Justin, get thee to the grocery to snag yourself some fresh Old Bay!

Little Teochow, this is a very popular seasoning in the U.S., available in every grocery store (I think). Do you have any American groceries near you? If not, I can look at the seasoning list on the back. Its base is salt and paprika. After that celery salt and pepper are big flavors, and I'd have to look to see what else is in it.

Ninette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ninette said...

Here's a link to a copycat recipe if you can't get Old Bay where you live: http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/oldbaymix.htm

zurin said...

i love shrimps! wish we had that seasoning here.

SHM said...

Oh how I love Old Bay Seasoning! Great post!

Sophie said...

MMMMMMMMMMM,...looks very delicious!

The Little Teochew said...

Thanks, Ninette! We have pretty good selections here. Will keep a look out on Old Bay. Salt and paprika as base sounds delish already!

Marta said...

Ohhhh so flavourful!!!!
Old Bay in shrimp sounds delicious!

LinaS said...

I love this Ninette. Thanks for posting. I use Old Bay in my crab salad but didn't think to use it on shrimp...go figure. I doubled up on my shrimp purchase today. Hoping that next time there will be some leftovers!