Saturday, July 18, 2009

Seasaltwithfood's Stuffed Red Peppers


I never liked stuffed peppers. I can't really remember why.

But one look at Seasaltwithfood's entry on stuffed red peppers made me want to give the little fellows another chance.

Am I glad I did! The roasted red pepper was sweet and tender, and its ground meat filling which was simmered with tomatoes, basil, and sun-dried tomatoes was flavorful and satisfying.

Since I cut out gluten this week, this delicious gluten-free recipe hit the spot. I didn't miss bread or pasta at all.

Finally, this technique is so versatile! You could stuff the pepper with anything ... meat, veggies, rice, beans, lentils, and any flavors (Italian, Greek, etc.). What a great way to use up leftovers.

By the way, Seasaltwithfood's pictures are much more appetizing than mine. I was talking on the phone when I was cooking, plating, and photographing the stuffed peppers. You can see how well that went!

Stuffed Bell Peppers
from Seasaltwithfood

Ingredients
10 Medium Bell Peppers
220 g Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Sea Salt to taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Beef Mixture
400 g Ground Beef
8 Sun-dried Tomatoes in oil, chopped
4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 Large Yellow Onion, finely chopped
2 tsp Dried Parsley
1 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves, torn
1 Can (28 Fl oz) Whole Tomato, crushed and drained
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Tbsp Chili Flakes
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
Sea salt to taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Method

Prepare the beef mixtures: In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and sauté until translucent, for about 10 minutes.

Add the ground beef and cook until the meat is no longer pink in color. Then add the sun-dried tomato, chili flakes, parsley, and give it a quick stir. Mix in the can tomatoes, tomato paste, and basil leaves and cook for another 10 minutes. Season the beef mixtures with salt and pepper.
Remove from the heat and set aside.

Preheat oven to 205˚C/400˚F.

Clean the peppers, sliced the top off (reserved), discard the cores and dry with paper towels.

Brush the peppers with olive oil on the outsides. Fill the beef mixture in to the peppers and top with the cheeses. Lightly oil a baking tray, place peppers and the reserved top besides them.

Roast for about 25 minutes or until the cheese have melted and light brown in color. Remove from the oven. Let it cool slightly before serving.


6 comments:

Sippity Sup said...

This looks like a beautiful recipe and gives me an inspiration for a stuffed summer squash I have been thinking about.

zurin said...

Ive never made stuffed red peppers b4 for the same reason u gave.(I find the skin is a little bitter altho the flesh sweet) BUt I still have a jar or sundried tomatoes and minced beef so im goingto try this..it looks so good esp wth the cheese on top! MMMMMM n easy too..so worth a try. ...tonite tonite! :)

The Little Teochew said...

I *love* peppers! This is something I know I will like :) Thank you! Looks so yummy!

MaRyA said...

but they still look so yummy!

jackie at phamfatale.com said...

I'm going to copy your lovely dish for my next dinner party. I'll probably used smaller pepper that I'll place on a stand for appetizers.

Mike said...

I love stuffed peppers and yours look great (as always!).