Sunday, July 5, 2009

Leftover Maven: Southwestern Pork Chili


Summer means weekends at my parents-in-law's lakehouse, and the kick-off is always July 4th weekend. We kids and grandkids, along with close friends Tony and Celeste spend the weekend, and the entire McLaughlin clan comes on Saturday for a BBQ and to celebrate my daughter Christina's birthday. We look forward to this weekend every year.

Everyone contributes something to the table. Tony and Celeste bring freshly made Italian sausage and sauteed onions and peppers, and brother- and sister-in-law Mike and Rachele come loaded with cold cuts for lunch. Uncle John bakes bread (vegetable harvest and a cranberry raisin bread this weekend), Aunt Ann composes a giant fruit salad, Aunt Pat makes her signature pineapple pie, and cousin Karen whips together extra-large chocolate chip cookies.

My mother-in-law Joyce also cooks up a storm, this year making a roasted pork loin with gravy on Thursday night and then for the BBQ, marinated chicken and beef kebabs, grilled potatoes, and steamed carrots and green beans.

So what about me? For Sunday lunch, I made a Southwestern chili out of the leftover pork loin, carrots, green beans, and sauteed onions and peppers. To them, I added some leftover mild salsa, fresh diced tomatoes, a little chicken broth, and a whole bottle of Dos Equis amber beer. For spices, I threw in some chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. To give it that Southwestern flair, I finished off the stew with black beans, corn, and cilantro.

Hannah, my 11-year old niece, said she really liked how the chili was a little spicy but a little sweet from the vegetables. I loved that the chili was a little tangy from the salsa.

For another tasty Southwestern pork stew recipe, please check out this link to Barbara Bakes.


7 comments:

foodcreate said...

Looks so Delicious! and Tasty!

Thanks for sharing your recipe!


Welcome~~~
http://foodcreate.com
Join! post your comments!

and if you can visit me I can visit you:)


Have a wonderful Day!

Barbara Bakes said...

Thanks for the shout out! I like that you pumped it up with more veggies. It looks delicious!

Simply...Gluten-free said...

Sounds like summer weekends rock in your world! Your chili looks so delish!

Mike said...

Wow...that looks great. Sometimes leftovers make an even better meal down the road!

James said...

Wow...that looks great...Thanks for sharing ..also visit and do online shopping at redtagdeals.com

Barbara Bakes said...

Thanks stopping by my blog and recommending soy sauce as a substitution for fish sauce!

Venice Parrish said...

Where's the recipe? Is something not loading right for me? Looks good, but I don't see a recipe.