Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy 50th Anniversary to My Parents

On June 27, my parents, Drs. Romeo and Nelly, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in St. Augustine, Florida. My siblings and I threw a party in their honor at the Renaissance Resort at World Golf Village where they renewed their vows and spent a wonderful evening with 115 family members and friends. Congratulations, Mom and Dad! I love you and am forever grateful for the example you have set for a loving and lasting marriage.

Not surprisingly, one of my tasks was to select the food for the evening from the hotel's array of choices. The menu:

Asian salad in phyllo shell
Prosciutto-wrapped melon with tropical mint cream sauce
Jumbo gulf shrimp served on ice with cocktail sauce
Hoisin beef satay
Spinach and artichoke tartlette
Duck springroll

Soup - Italian wedding soup

Salad - Chop chop salad (fresh greens with pine nuts, blue cheese, and garlic vinaigrette)

Dinner (choice of ...)
Chicken wellington with lyonnaise potatoes and sauteed asparagus
Prime rib with smashed potatoes and sauteed asparagus

If you have never been to St. Augustine, Florida, stop by some time and enjoy its low-key atmosphere. It has beautiful beaches and a historic downtown. We stayed at the Castillo Real at St. Augustine Beach, which I recommend highly for three reasons. One: it has free, and yes I said free, wireless internet. Two: it's across from a cool and happening place called Cafe Eleven. Great bubble tea and coffee, a $10 buffet breakfast (how can you beat that), live music at night, and really nice, hip staff. Three: it's right on the beach.

My family also had a great breakfast one morning at the Bunnery Bakery and Cafe in the historic district. We bought some raspberry squares and lemon squares from them for the late night dessert table at the party and they were fantastic.

I would say the biggest hit of the night was family friend Marge Anloague's Filipino mocha cake, which she drove all the way down to Florida from Cleveland, Ohio. If I could get her recipe to put on this blog, we would all live happier lives! I guarantee it.

Note: If you're looking to plan an event in the St. Augustine area, definitely take a look at Renaissance Resort at World Golf Village. Tammie Bryant was our coordinator there, and she and the entire staff were very helpful and accommodating.


Miakoda said...

I love these heartwarming stories of couples. Paired with beautiful pictures from the past, where everyone always look like movie stars, it really makes me happy :) Happy anniversary to the wonderful couple!!

La Table De Nana said...

You had a wonderful celebration also:) What a beautiful elegant couple ! How sweet of you to do all this..If Marge reads this maybe she will share?

Your menu is wonderful so many tasty things..I have been to St Augustines many years ago with my husband and loved it.We only stayed the day..but it was worth it!

Shannon said...

that salad sounds delcious! the whole meal sounds good! St. Augustine is really nice if you like history and/or the beach. I have been there 3 times (we live in Florida so its a pretty easy trip) and have hated it but I don't like either of those things. However the entire rest of my family enjoys it so I will probably be back

Jackie said...

What a wonderful couple. wow 50 years is a milestone ans as their daughter, you definitely did a great job in celebrating it in grand style. They look so happy together. I still have 45 more years to go go follow your parents' model :)

Carolyn Jung said...

Wow, from the early photo to the current one, your parents make quite the glam couple! A half century of marriage is a true milestone these days, too. Congrats to them!

Olga said...

wow, 50 years is such an amazing accomplishment! I love looking at other people's wedding photos: thanks for including the "before" and "after" shots :)