Sunday, July 12, 2009

Award-winning Pineapple Custard Pie


My aunt-in-law Pat McLaughlin brings this pineapple custard pie every year to the annual July 4th get together at my parents-in-law's lakehouse. At first, I wasn't sure. Pineapple pie?

But one bite convinced me otherwise.

I asked my aunt if I could share the recipe on the blog, and she graciously agreed. She said credit goes to her nephew's wife, Joan Rauseo and her father, Louie Marion. Louie lived with Dick and Joan for a couple of years. Joan thought it would be a good experience for him to enter some of his favorite recipes at the L.A. County Fair. He won second place with his Raisin Pie and Joan won first place with this Pineapple Custard Pie.

Being a non-baker, this was the third pie I ever made in my whole life, and I had no problems. It's as easy as ... pie!

I don't know what's better -- eating it or smelling the enticing sweet tropical smell of pineapple and the homey goodness of pie crust as it bakes.

Please try it and enjoy.




Award-winning Pineapple Custard Pie

Pastry for 9-inch two crust pie, unbaked
3 eggs
2 tbl freshly squeezed lemon juice 1/2 cup water, at room temperature
1/3 cup butter, melted 1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1/4 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Beat eggs lightly. Add water, lemon juice & butter; blend. Add sugar, flour & salt; beat until smooth. Mix in pineapple.\ 3. Pour mixture into unbaked bottom crust. Cover with a lattice top.
4. Bake in pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes.


17 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

What a gorgeous, easy to make pie!

Carolyn Jung said...

What a beautiful pie, all covered with crispy, buttery stars. I don't think I've ever tasted pineapple pie, either. But one look at this lovely pie is all that it takes to make me a believer.

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

oh I love pineapples...I am so going to try this...only thing...I want to know can I use the pastry dough we use for galettes...for this pie's crust (its difficult t find readymade crusts here).
thanks :)

Barbara said...

Pineapple pie- don't think I have ever seen a recipe anywhere. It looks divine. And I love pineapple. Going to print it out right away!

La Table De Nana said...

I have never heard of this either:) Your photos and recommendation are reason enough to try..

Thank you.

Marta said...

Oh wow, this pie looks easy and delicious. Thank's for sharing your family's recipe with us :)
Pineapple pie is indeed rare, but I like making random different desserts like these!

Lisa Michelle said...

I cme here to check out your beautiful take on this month's DC challenge (where is it? :(), and lo and behold, I ran into this beauty of a pie. I love all kinds of custard pies, but nver tried pineapple, now I will. Thanks for posting it!! Bookmarked!

Kevin said...

A pineapple custard pie sounds really good! Nice stars on the crust!

Sophie said...

MMMMMMM,...what a georgous looking pie!! i love the top too!!

Looks so fabulous!!! yummie yum!

Life on an artistic shoestring said...

This looks so wonderful. I intend to make this tomorrow and need to know if it's served warm or cold or room temperature. Does it firm up after sitting a while?

And do you brush on an egg wash on the stars before baking?

Ninette said...

Yes, I used an egg wash on the stars. I think you can serve it any which way (warm, room temp, or cold). I've eaten it all three ways. I hope you enjoy it!

Dianna said...

Your pie looks absolutely fabulous! I have been looking for recipes for pineapple desserts other than upside down cake (so far and few in between) and I can't wait to try this one. I hope using fresh pineapple won't be a problem. Have you tried it with fresh pineapple?

Ninette Enrique said...

Hi Dianna,

I've never tried it with fresh pineapple, but I think as long as your pineapple is ripe, it should be fine. Let me know how it works out.

decorate my house said...

Is the pineapple can size right?? I am assuming it is a 20 oz can, because as far as I can find, they do not make the size you have in your recipe

Ninette said...

This is an old recipe, so i am thinking can sizes have changed. Go ahead and use the 20 oz. can.

Mr. Bill said...

What a great recipe!! I have this one on file for my next celebration. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Blackledge Corroo said...

I made this pie this morning. Earlier this weekend, I butchered a fresh pineapple and coconut for other recipes. I had leftovers that I needed to use. I cooked then pureed the pineapple and added a 1/4 cup of raw grated coconut. I just guess-timated on the amount to use. I left the top crust off so I could see the gorgeous color of the filling. Wow is this pie yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe! This is a keeper!