Saturday, May 30, 2009

Beef Brisket on the Big Green Egg


Okay, I admit it.

I bought my husband a Big Green Egg for his birthday and then proceeded to cook on it a bunch of times before he got to use it.

It's not my fault he's had to travel so much for business, is it?

Today Mark came home from the grocery store with a beef brisket to try out on the Big Green Egg. My ten-year-old, Christina, showed him how to light the lumpwood charcoal and get it to a temperature of 250 degrees.

Meanwhile, I generously seasoned each side of the brisket with a BBQ spice rub, kosher salt, and pepper. You can let it sit overnight with seasoning or even brine it first and then season it.

But I didn't.

I just seasoned it and as soon as the grill was ready, we put it in to cook low and slow.

After about 5 hours, the brisket reached an internal temperature of 197, and we pulled it out and let it rest for about 20 minutes.

Boy, was this good. Moist and tender.

And we even forgot to throw some hickory chips in there to get some great smoky flavor. Next time.

I recommend checking out the blog, Bucky's BBQ and Bread -- Curt helped me out when I first got the Big Green Egg (oh I mean, when my husband got the Big Green Egg). His site is chock full of great BBQ and other delectable eats. Also, Another Pint Please has a brisket recipe using a brine and the site does a nice job of describing how to cook the brisket on a Weber kettle.

If you don't have a Big Green Egg, maybe now's the time to get one. It's da bomb.

1 Beef brisket
Penzey's BBQ 3000 or another spice rub
Kosher salt
Pepper

Score the fat side of the brisket with a cross hatch pattern. Generously season the brisket on both sides with BBQ seasoning, salt, and pepper.

Heat the grill to 225-250 degrees. Cook brisket 4-5 hours or until it reaches an internal temperature of 195-200 degrees, turning it a couple times during the cooking process.

Take it off the grill, cover it with foil, and let rest about 15-20 minutes. Cut and serve with BBQ sauce.



15 comments:

~Carole said...

Man, that looks so good! You sure are lucky that you gave your DH a Big Green Egg.

Off to check-out the blogs you mentioned.

Mike said...

Ninette - Not another BGE owner tempting me! Your brisket looks great and thanks for the link back to my blog. I am so not surprised Curt was able to help you out. He's a great resource.

Perhaps one day I will do a brisket on a BGE instead of a kettle. One day!

Mike

pigpigscorner said...

The meat looks amazing! I love beef brisket, it's really flavourful.

Aggie said...

Your brisket looks perfect!!

Curt McAdams said...

The brisket looks great! Next time, let me know, and I'll send you some info on the only bbq better than brisket.. Burnt ends, made from the point!

Now that you have the egg, you have to get the eggsessories, like plate setter and pizza stone (their stone is actually really great, thicker than most you'll find).

Curt McAdams said...

And thanks for the link and kind words, too!

Ninette said...

Hey Curt, I have the placesetter. For anyone who has the Egg, this is a must purchase along with the ash catcher, which can also be used to take the grate off. I have used my regular pizza stone, and it's worked very well, although I have no comparison point.

Matt said...

I got a green egg too and I love it. it could be the greatest invention ever.

Jackie @PhamFatale.com said...

Ninette,

It looks sooooo good. I'm a carnivore and I absolutely love beef brisket. The meat is cooked to perfection. I'm sure it's worth the 5 hours of slow cooking. mmmm :)

tigerfish said...

it's BBQ season, ya?

Ellie said...

It's winter down under. Can't wait till summer for BBQ!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks or the recipe... I tried it this weekend on my big green egg. Unfortunately it didn't turn out very well. I pulled it off at 200 degrees, it was overdone, shoe leather. I know you said 194. I think next time I will try 185-190 then let it ret for a longer period, say an hour in foil.

Mike

Ninette said...

So sorry it didn't work out for you. That's a big disappointment after waiting for it so long to cook!

Anonymous said...

The size of the meat should be factored in, and you must have the proper smoker shelf in there for indirect heat during smoking. Xx

Ninette said...

HI Anonymous. Each grill or smoker has its own way to cook on indirect heat, so I would follow the instructions for your particular piece of equipment. And yes, the important part is the temp of 197 degrees and not the amount of time, as it will take as long as it's going to take depending on the size. One time it took me over 7 hours...