Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Baked Chicken Taquitos



From a wonderful dinner that Julia served dockside from her sailboat's galley kitchen.

Adapted recipe from Whole Foods Market:
Serves 4

This baked version of taquitos is healthier and less mess in the kitchen than the traditional fried ones. The flavorful chicken filling makes great tacos as well. Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole. Leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken is perfect for the filling.

Ninette's Note: We made these taquitos using just canned salsa, leftover chicken, and cheese, and they were great. Just follow the directions for rolling and baking below.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil, more for brushing tortillas
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups shredded cooked chicken meat
2 cups low-sodium, gluten-free chicken broth
12 (6-inch) flour or corn tortillas
1 cup crumbled queso fresco or shredded Monterey jack or cheddar

Method

Preheat oven to 425°F and oil a baking sheet. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add onion and cook until starting to soften and turn translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, paprika and salt. Stir to combine and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer, until fragrant. Take from heat and stir in cilantro and chicken. Set aside.

IF YOU'RE USING FLOUR TORTILLAS: Lay tortilla on a work surface and spread 2 or 3 tablespoons chicken mixture over bottom third. Top with a tablespoon of cheese and roll up. Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Spray or brush tortillas lightly with oil and bake until crisp and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately.

IF YOU'RE USING CORN TORTILLAS: If you're using corn tortillas, bring chicken broth to a simmer in a skillet or pot wide enough to hold tortillas. When broth simmers, dip tortillas briefly, one at a time, just to soften, 1 to 2 seconds. Lay tortilla on a work surface and spread 2 or 3 tablespoons chicken mixture over bottom third. Top with a tablespoon of cheese and roll up. Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Spray or brush tortillas lightly with oil and bake until crisp and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately.

18 comments:

Laura P. said...

I used to eat Taquitos *all* the time while I lived in AZ...it would be great to try them home made, thanks for the delicious looking recipe! : )

biz319 said...

A great way to use leftover chicken! I may add black beans and corn to mine - thanks for the idea!!

Ninette said...

I can attest that these are delicious. They're better than fried. I was thinking some shredded beef taquitos would be yummy too.

Culinary Cory said...

What a great appetizer! Or even a perfect evening snack. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Ohh I'm so excited!
I used to love rolled tacos when I was a little girl. I never attempted to make them since they are always fried. But now I can bake em and put mashed potatoes in them :D oh what a glorious day!

from my motorhome to yours said...

I make taquitos all the time I even make my own tortillas!!

Mai Mai said...

It's very hard to find taquitos here in Manila. The only ones I've found are the frozen ones and those just aren't as good. Thanks for posting this. Will definitely make this at home :)

Russell said...

Really nice recipe and site.
How do you keep the corn torts from just breaking apart when you roll them? Are mine just too old?

Ninette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ninette said...

Russell, you can also cover the tortillas with a damp paper towel, cover with plastic wrap, and heat for a minute or so until softened.

Dimah said...

Yum! your pictures are mouthwatering!

Kevin said...

I have been wanting to try taquitos! They look so good with the dipping sauce there!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking forward to trying this for a while.
I used corn tortillas and man did they turn out ugly! Not even close to your picture! I can't roll very good. Very tasty though! Next time I think I'll try larger flour tortillas. The filling was excellent and I'll use it for other stuff.

Thanks :)

Ninette said...

Hi, the ones in the pic are flour tortillas, so maybe that will be easier. Glad you enjoyed them. They are very tasty, aren't they?

kuriouskitteh said...

I can't actually remember if I've had taquitos before. I think I may have, but I can't be sure. Either way yours look very enticing ;).

~Kurious Kitteh

kamagra said...

Excellent thanks for the recipe, I love tacos.

Abigail said...

I love Taquitos, but mostly you find recipes with them "fried" so you can imagine how delighted I was to find your recipe that was baked instead!! They were delicious and every bit as good (better for me) than the fried version! Thanks for sharing!

Madison said...

This looks great and of course the "no-fry" option is awesome. I try not to fry any foods for my family, it's just not as good as for you as baking.