Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pork Spareribs Redux - This Time on the Big Green Egg

Pork Spareribs after four hours on the Big Green Egg

This is the second time I've made ribs this week. Earlier in the week, I smoked some Mmm Good Spareribs in my indoor smoker for 45 minutes, cooked them at 225 in the convection oven for four hours until they were tender, and then finished them on the grill.



In the middle of the week, I got my husband a Big Green Egg for his birthday and promptly broke it in by smoking four racks of ribs to bring to my sister's house. I prepared them the same way that I had prepared the earlier ribs, covering them with a dry rub, and then after they were smoked and slow-cooked until tender, brushed them with sauce and finished them over medium heat on the grill.

Ribs and hickory smoke in the Big Green Egg

Thanks to Curt McAdams who freely shared his expertise with me, I sailed through my first use of the Egg. His blog is http://buckymcoinkumsbbq.com/wordpress/. Go check it out and learn from an award-winning and very nice BBQ maven.

After making these ribs, all I can say is Holy Smokes!

While these were both ribs, the Big Green Egg ribs are in a completely different category from the ribs I cooked earlier in the week. The BGE ribs were moist yet had a bark on them and were incredibly flavorful from their 5-hour smoke at 225 degrees. These were the best ribs I ever tasted.

Ribs after they've been smoked

Side view of ribs with pink smoke ring.

I intended to bring four racks of ribs to my sister's, but one of them ended up back on the Big Green Egg to get charred and eaten for dinner. If you're interested in getting a Big Green Egg, I say get one!



Ribs after they were brushed with sauce and charred on the grill.



14 comments:

Curt McAdams said...

Great looking ribs! and a great job on your first bge slow cook. I'm available for dinner.. just let me know when! :)

Ninette said...

Thank you, Curt. You're welcome anytime, and I want to go to your house too!

Pam said...

I need to get a big green egg. The spareribs look fantastic.

~Carole said...

Your ribs look fantastic! Everything on your blog looks fantastic. :-)

We are in the market for a new grill. I'm thinking we should consider a Big Green Egg.

Ninette said...

Thanks, Pam and Carole! I have only cooked on it once, but I'm a convert. I'll let you know when I cook other things on it. The great thing about it is it's a smoker, grill, hearth oven, convection oven, etc. Very versatile! And it heats up in 10 minutes.

Kevin said...

Those ribs look so tasty!

Ninette said...

Thanks, Kevin! Love your blog.

Esi said...

Oh yum, I was just thinking about ribs with grilling season on the way in.

Regina said...

MMMMMM PORK!!!!!! It looks great and I as well have heard great things about the Big Green Egg. Count me in for dinner too!

lalaine said...

Wow! These ribs are making me forget it's Lent and I cannot eat pork!

Ninette said...

Lalaine, Happy Easter today! Why can't you eat pork? Did you give it up for Lent? Good thing Lent is over!

Gay said...

The ribs look absolutely mouthwatering! Haven't had the chance to cook something like this at home though. I bet my dad would love this.

Laura Levy said...

I love my big green egg... these look delicious!!! Love your recipes!

basilmomma: Heather Tallman said...

Wow...what yummy pictures!!