Monday, April 20, 2009

Mussels Fra Diavolo


Everyone has his/her cooking specialty. For me, it's making something new out of leftovers.

Tonight, I decided to make mussels fra diavolo with linguine, because I had leftover steamed mussels and a few clams in their steaming liquid, pizza sauce from making pizza (a seasoned thick tomato sauce, almost like tomato paste), half of a heirloom tomato, and half a package of grape tomatoes. I also had fresh parsley, basil, garlic, and Chardonnay.

The spicy kick of fra diavolo, contributed by a generous dose of red pepper flakes, complemented the brininess of the mussels and the acidity of the tomatoes. I particularly enjoyed the grape tomatoes, as their plump and sweet bursts of flavor brightened up the dish. When I make this dish purposefully, instead of out of leftovers, I will add the grape tomatoes for sure.

I don't have a recipe as much as a technique I can share:

Steamed mussels with its liquid
Several cloves garlic, minced
Cut tomatoes
Minced parsley
Chiffonaded basil
Dry white wine
Italian seasoning
Pizza sauce or tomato paste
Olive oil
Linguine


Heat a large pot of water for linguine.

Take mussels out of their liquid and their shells, saving a few in their shells for presentation if desired. Strain the mussel liquid.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute for a minute, making sure the garlic doesn't burn. Add about a cup of wine and the mussel liquid, along with Italian seasoning. Let simmer and reduce by half.

When pasta water reaches a boil, add a generous amount of salt to the water, let it come to a boil, and add linguine. Cook according to the package directions, although be prepared to take it out a minute before it's fully cooked.
While the pasta is boiling, add enough tomato paste to the wine liquid to thicken it and have enough for the linguine. Add tomatoes and mussels to warm through. Taste and adjust seasonings.

When linguine is almost cooked, add it to the pasta sauce so it can finish cooking in the sauce. Add parsley and basil to garnish. Enjoy.


8 comments:

~Carole said...

I love a good, spicy fra diavolo. I make mine with shrimp. I've never had mussels before, but your photo makes me want to try them.

Culinary Cory said...

I can't tell you how much I love mussels! Yours look amazing.

Hillary said...

How did you have leftover mussels? :) I have a weakness for mussels. Great dish made our of leftovers!

Aggie said...

Oh what great pics! This looks so delicious!

Laura Levy said...

HI Ninette... just stopping by to check out your website and I love it!!! Wonderful recipes? Would like to post a recipe on each other's sites with links to help our web hits? If so, let me know and we'll do it.

SHM said...

Your Mussels Fra Diavolo dish looks amazing! I have a similar dish/recipe that I love to make on my blog, http://www.shmhouston.blogspot.com. Happy cooking!

Justin Schwartz said...

i love these photos. yum, i could eat that for dinner right now... well, it's only 3:30, but you get the idea.

Elsa said...

COOOOOL ^^國民旅遊卡,麻辣火鍋,喝水,多喝水,火車,喝水,火花,多喝水,喝茶,四物湯,喝水,喝茶論壇,吃喝玩樂,鹼質好喝,啤酒,程式,多喝水,喝水程式,生化湯,檸檬水,喝水,喝水,喝酒,喝茶,喝水,羊奶,喝茶吃魚,經痛,桂格,吃吃喝喝,黑松,羊奶,軍火,豆漿,喝酒,喝水,喝水,喝多少水,喝茶,喝水,台中,喝水,天堂,台中,青花瓷,菜花,聊天,民宿,線上,花岩山林,秘密花園,名模花花,花朵,寶徠,林家花園,花蓮美食,清潔,花語,白河,流星花園,熱水器,花園歌,民宿,電影城,花蓮房屋,蔡依林,流星花園,火花遊戲,桃花,夜市