Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mark's Standing Rib Roast


Growing up, my husband's family tradition was to eat prime rib for Christmas Eve. Every year, his father would never tire of saying, "I hope you like this, because it's the last time you're going to have it before you're 25 years old and have to buy it yourself."
After years of hearing this, Mark, who's now way past 25, can't resist buying a prime rib roast when it goes on sale. And it was this weekend, for Easter.

Mark is a master with meat. He will tell you that the secret of cooking a great prime rib roast is to
1) honor its inherent flavor and stick with simple seasonings,

2) use a meat thermometer to cook it to the perfect temperature of 123 degrees (when it rests, the temperature will continue to go up and the meat will be medium-rare to medium), and

3) let it rest for 30 minutes, so the juices can redistribute themselves.

As the beneficiary of Mark's cooking, I can tell you that this rib roast is irresistible with its crackly seasoned crust and tender, juicy, pink interior.



1 Beef standing rib roast (approx. 7 lbs. and 3-4 bones)
Kosher Salt
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Celery Salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (use convection roast function if you have it on your stove).

Let meat sit out until it's about room temperature. Do not trim the meat.

At this point, you can tie it with twine to keep the roast together during cooking. We don't do this as some in the family, like myself, like it more cooked than others. If you don't tie it, the outer edges will cook a little more.

Pat meat dry, and generously cover each side with kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and celery salt (the celery salt makes a difference), patting it down on one side before moving on to the next. You can also use Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub Seasoning, which is one of my favorite mixed rubs.

Put the roast in a roasting pan (no rack necessary).

Cook until it's 123 degrees in the center according to your meat thermometer, which took about an hour and a half. This will give you medium-rare to medium meat (see picture of sliced meat).


Tent with aluminum foil and let it rest on the counter for at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving. My husband lets it rest 30 minutes. I'm usually running around trying to get the sides done, so I appreciate the extra resting time. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you cover it with tinfoil on the counter when it's resting or just leave it open air? Looks delicious.

Ninette said...

We don't cover it with tinfoil, but you certainly can to keep the roast warm. I also think 20 minutes is perfectly fine for the rest, but my hubby likes to make extra sure.

Hedonistic Hostess said...

Wow this hunk of meat looks amazing! I think I should invest in a meat thermometer.

Jackie @PhamFatale.com said...

My mouth is watering just looking at your picture. I'm a carnivore and I love red meat. Thanks for sharing :)

Ninette said...

Hi Jackie, Too bad we don't have smell-o-vision. The roast smelled so good ...

Art Chang said...

I made this for Christmas dinner for family, including Jean and her kids. We used Arcadian Farms standing rib roast, followed your directions, and it came out perfectly.

kamagra said...

It looks absolutely delicious, I made a BBQ in my house last Saturday, my main dish was Ribs, they are so easy to prepare, and the result is always good.