Saturday, March 28, 2009

Oven-Fried Panko-Crusted Chicken


We love our Delonghi deep fryer, truly we do. Frying is one of those perfect cooking vehicles, delivering crisp and moist food in the fraction of the time it would take to bake it in the oven.

For tonight's dinner, however, I chose the oven to envelop my Panko-crusted chicken strips in its dry heat and crisp them up without the use of calorie-laden oil.

To keep the chicken strips moist, I marinated them in a salty buttermilk marinade for an hour. If you're going to marinate them longer, I would recommend reducing the salt to 1 1/2 tsp.

I did a full bound breading in this recipe, but an alternate method is to brush the chicken with mayonnaise or mustard and coat the chicken with the breadcumbs. You can also add parmesan cheese, parsley, and/or a little melted butter to the Panko breadcrumbs for more flavor.

Instead of ketchup, I served the chicken with a flavorful roasted red pepper dip. These can easily be turned into appetizers by cutting the chicken into little nuggets. Enjoy!

For 4-6 servings

3 lbs. chicken breast
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbs. kosher salt
Mrs. Dash
Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper
Flour
3 eggs
Panko bread crumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs found in the Asian section of the grocery store)

Pam


In a Ziploc bag, mix the buttermilk and salt.

Cut chicken into longish pieces and add it to the marinade. Put the marinated chicken in the fridge for one hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Assemble your breading station by having three shallow bowls of the following:

1) flour with salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash
2) 3 eggs beaten, with a little milk
3) Panko bread crumbs

Take chicken out of the buttermilk marinade and put them on a rack with a cookie sheet underneath. Season each chicken strip with salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash and a little Italian seasoning.

Bread each chicken strip by coating it in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and finally in the Panko bread crumb mixture. Lay the breaded chicken strips to set on two baking sheets covered with easy-release aluminum foil or Silpats if you have them (it makes clean up easier). When all the chicken has been assembled, spray the top side with Pam.

Cook for 20 minutes, more or less, depending on the thickness of your strips (no need to turn the strips over). If you're not sure, pull out the thickest strip when you think it's close to getting done, cut it into and check for any signs of pinkness.

Serve hot or at room temperature.

7 comments:

Aggie said...

What a great meal!! I like to make my oven fried chicken strips for the kids, I've never marinated them with the buttermilk before, I will really have to try that.

Joy said...

Hey so happy to have found your site -- I wanted to make this exact thing tonight!! Since ive gained quite a few lbs over the holidays (sad panda), I wanted to bake them in the oven. Thanks for sharing this recipe you rock!

James said...

I tried this recipe and unfortunately the chicken was extremely bland. Perhaps I didn't use enough season. It is definitely harder to give chicken flavor when baking. Have to keep trying to avoid the fryer to stay healthy. Thank you for the idea though.

Ninette said...

Hi James, did you use 1 tbs. of salt? Bland is easily fixed. :)

James said...

I used less than that, because as the recipe mentioned, i marinated the chicken longer than an hour. I admit I am a bit of a novice when it comes to cooking so my seasoning skills are probably not the best. I also had to adjust the salt amount because we did not have kosher salt. I googled what the substitute would be using regular table salt and it said to use about half as much. So that could have been part of the problem. Next time I try it will definitely not go light on the seasoning.

Ninette said...

Sorry, James, that the recipe has caused you some trouble. If you're a little new to cooking, these experiences teach you how to cook better, so that's good news. Keep some kosher salt around -- it's great for cooking. With just under a tsp. of regular table salt for the recipe, I completely understand why your chicken was bland.

Josee said...

James and others try adding hot sauce and garlic to the buttermilk that will kick up the flavor a few notches!