Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Filipino Corned Beef Hash

Since I've been walking down memory lane and March seems to be "Filipino month" around here, it was fitting to take the leftover corned beef from St. Patrick's Day and turn it into Filipino corned beef hash, served with a heaping mound of garlic fried rice.

In Annie's entry on corned beef at her fantastic blog, House of Annie, she reminisced about corned beef and how as a child she had only seen it come out of a can. Same with me. We kids would take the corned beef hash out of the can, mix it with white rice, and throw it in the microwave for a quick meal. Sometimes soy sauce would end up in there too (as if there wasn't enough sodium already). My dad would take it up a notch, frying onions and garlic in a skillet and then adding the canned corned beef with a little water. He didn't add tomatoes, a usual addition to Filipino corned beef hash, as we couldn't stand tomatoes. I was always grateful that he cut the onions in long strips, so I could squeamishly pick them out and push them to the far edge of my plate. I'm still not that fond of the texture of onions and I will turn my nose up at tomatoes unless they're at their peak. Some habits die hard.

Corned beef hash and rice is a fantastic breakfast too, served with a fried egg. Delish!

The recipe below reflects the amount of leftover corned beef I had. If you have more corned beef, you can follow the general proportions in this recipe.

1 mounded cup corned beef, shredded
1/3 cup diced cooked potatoes
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tomato, seeded and thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 tbs. oil

Heat skillet over medium heat. When it's hot, add oil and swirl the oil around. Add onion and cooked potato cubes. Cook for a few minutes until the onions are cooked through and the potatoes have crisped a little. Salt and pepper the onions and potatoes as desired. If you don't want any color on the onions or the potatoes and/or you like them soft, then turn down the heat a little.

When the onions are cooked, add the corned beef and garlic. Saute corned beef for a couple minutes until heated through. Add tomato slices and saute for a minute or until slightly soft (but not so soft that they dissolve, unless that's the way you want it). If it's looking a little dry, add a couple spoonfuls of water. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper if necessary.

NOTE IF YOU'RE USING UNCOOKED POTATOES: If your potato cubes are not cooked, proceed with recipe as written until you add the corned beef. When you add the corned beef and garlic, saute the corned beef and garlic for a minute and then add enough water so that the potatoes can cook. Turn to a low simmer and let potatoes cook through (5-8minutes). If the water evaporates before the potatoes are cooked, add more water. If the potatoes are cooked and you want less water in the pan, simmer it a little longer until it's to your liking. Add the tomatoes in at the end, sauteing for a minute or until soft but not so soft that they dissolve.


Shey said...

Ang sarap naman nito! Thanks for posting.

Nate-n-Annie said...

Nice! I like the garlicky bite you add.

I myself was thinking that next time, I'd use some celery seed to season the hash.

Thanks for the link!

Ninette Enrique said...

Salamat, Shey. And the corned beef is delicious ... real "old school." I don't speak Tagalog, but I understand what you said. Thank goodness for kitchen Tagalog!

Olga said...

I just made corned beef a few days ago: this is such a great idea (if I will actually have some leftovers!).

Ninette Enrique said...

Hey Olga, I know, I barely had any leftovers myself!

jacqui | happyjackeats said...

my dad's canned corned beef hash is my favorite! haven't had in such a long time and you just reminded me that i've been meaning to blog about it for a while, but have been hesitant because, well, it's canned corned beef. i never knew it was an actual filipino dish until recently, actually -- i always thought my dad just made it up! glad to have found your blog -- lots of good stuff here and will be following. :)