Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pan-Roasted Ponzu Chicken



Burnished mahogany brown with ponzu sauce, this crispy, tasty, chicken full of the flavors of soy sauce and lemon is a guaranteed hit. It's super easy too.

Japanese ponzu sauce (a lemon-soy sauce)
Chicken thighs
Oil

Marinate chicken in Japanese ponzu sauce overnight or for a few hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Remove from marinade, pat dry. In a hot skillet over medium heat, sear chicken 5 minutes skin side, 3 minutes on other side until it's nicely browned.

If your skillet is oven proof, put directly in oven. If not, put browned chicken on a cookie sheet or roasting pan in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until cooked through (175 degrees internal temperature.)

COOK'S NOTE: I normally use organic chicken, and after pan frying, can put the skillet straight into the oven, because there's not so much oil. Recently, I bought regular chicken thighs and when pan frying, the chicken exuded about a 1/2 cup of oil. If that happens to you, I would recommend taking as much oil out of the skillet with a spoon as you can (no need to remove the chicken if you plan to put the skillet in the oven) before putting the chicken in the oven.

7 comments:

Pam said...

I've never had ponzu sauce - I'll be on the lookout for it. The chicken looks great.

Ninette Enrique said...

Hi Pam, I think you'll love ponzu sauce. If you have an Asian store or Japanese store, it should be there. If you have a well-stocked grocery store, they would have it too.

E. Lee said...

Wow--I can't believe how rich and brown that chicken looks right out of the oven! I can't wait to slather on some ponzu sauce, and let the roasting do the work!

Ninette Enrique said...

Yes, my kids can't get enough of this chicken. It's pretty and so tasty.

Anonymous said...

Sunday today and the Ponzu Chicken is in the oven. The kids are hovering around the kitchen waiting anxiously for the click of the rice cooker signaling that the rice is done. Steaming white rice and ponzu chicken a favorite here!

Anonymous said...

That last post was from me Ninettet. Couldn't find my google name. Lina!!!

Ninette said...

Lina, can I come over? You've given me a craving for ponzu chicken!