Monday, February 9, 2009

Tortilla Soup

My husband first had tortilla soup when he was in Mexico and asked me to make it today. Since I had enchilada sauce that I had previously made in the freezer, I used it as a base, and it was a great success.The wonderful part about this soup is that it's super easy, delicious, and it can be vegetarian or meat-based. Using a blender to blend the ingredients is the secret to a vibrantly flavored, smooth sauce. I often use my blender to puree onions, jalapenos, garlic, and other spices/herbs to make marinades for meat or vegetables.
The original idea to blend ingredients for an easy enchilada sauce came from Cook's Illustrated; I just took it one step further to use the base for soup.
In blender, blend:

1 29 oz. can of tomato sauce
½ of one canned chipotle in adobo sauce (optional)
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
½ medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. chili powder
1 handful of cilantro

Chicken or vegetarian broth
Rotisserie chicken breast, shredded or Vegetables (corn, black beans)
Fried corn tortilla strips (see below)

Put puree in a pot with broth to your liking (about 2-3 cans). Simmer for ten minutes with crushed corn tortilla strips (about 2-3 tortillas that have been fried and crushed into small pieces in a ziploc bag). The tortillas will thicken the soup. Near the end of cooking add shredded chicken breast or different veggies (corn, beans) to your liking.
Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado or guacamole and fried tortilla strips.

Fried Tortilla Strips
Corn tortillas, cut in 1/2 and cut into thin strips

Fry in oil that's around 370 degrees and crisp. Take out of oil and put on a rack or on paper towels. Salt immediately.


Tipsy Mongoose said...

I tried this recipe out last week, and it was amazing!

I made mine with shredded chicken, black beans, corn, dark red kidney beans, and a whole chipotle instead of a half. I followed your recipe pretty close, except instead of tomato sauce I used crushed tomatoes (which is all I had).

Will definitely make again!

Lindsey is said...

Thanks for the recipe... and the comment. We'll definitely have to try as an enchilada sauce. We loved the soup!