Saturday, February 14, 2009

OuuO uah ahhh ahh - Clamoring for Monkey Bread

I have a cookbook journal that my friend Rob Gotti gave me when I was in my mid-20s. He probably bought it in a quaint country store on the Cape, as I was never able to find another copy when the original one was filled. I diligently wrote down recipes that people gave me and also recipes I developed -- an old fashioned version of this blog. Now the book is tattered and stained; the red-checkered front and back covers have fallen off and are now tucked in among the pages. It's one of my most prized possessions.

One of the recipes in this book is for my sister's Monkey Bread, which she recently made for Christmas morning breakfast. It's economical, easy to make, and a family favorite in her household.

Pillsbury 4 pack of biscuits
2 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar
4 tbs. milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Walnuts and raisins if desired

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In saucepan on stove, melt butter. Add brown sugar and milk and bring to a boil. Set aside.

Mix sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Unwrap biscuits and dip each biscuit in the sugar and cinnamon mixture. You can cut biscuits into 1/2s or quarters if you want.

Pour half of brown sugar mixture into bundt pan.

Layer sugared biscuits in pan, distributing in raisins and walnuts if desired. Pour remaining brown sugar mixture over the biscuits.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and not "doughy."

Immediately turn over bundt pan onto plan after cooking. Eat warm.

No comments: