Saturday, February 14, 2009

Filipino Bisquick Puto (steamed muffins)



My kids have loved puto from the time they were small children. Every time they have a school event, they ask me to make this lightly sweetened and steamed Filipino bread. Grandma Rocha used to make this for me and my brother Edward when we were small, so I called her one day and she gave me the recipe from memory. I have changed it a little bit, but it has her secret addition of mayonnaise.

2 cups Bisquick
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tbs. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Red and green food coloring (optional)

Sift Bisquick together with baking powder and salt. Mix rest of ingredients with Bisquick mixture except for food coloring. If you want different colored puto, split the batter in thirds and put two drops of red dye in a third of the batter and two drops of green dye in the other. Mix well.
For mini-muffins, steam for 13-15 minutes. For regular muffins, 15-17.

3 comments:

LW said...

I am searching for easy Filipino recipes for a cooking club I just joined, so I am a complete newbie, but exactly how do you steam the bread in this recipe? Thanks!

Ninette said...

Hi LW, I use a Cameron indoor smoker/steamer (http://www.amazon.com/Cameron-Cookware-Stainless-Stovetop-Smoker/dp/B00004SZ9D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1262997759&sr=8-1) and I put a mini-muffin tin in there and steam. If you can get an aluminum Chinese steamer that's big enough to hold the muffin tin, then that's good. The other thing you can try is to put a big pan of boiling water on the lower rack of oven and try to bake them. I've never done this, but I would think it could work.

Anonymous said...

what is bisquick po,,?!,what is it for,,?!