Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fennel with Navy Beans and Sausage

This is a variation of a dish I had at Centro’s, an Italian restaurant in the Glenville section of Greenwich. Centro’s was the site of the biggest behavior fiasco of my life. It was 1995 and I was pregnant and hormonal, and it was exactly the wrong time to meet our friend Dave Clawson’s girlfriend, Catherine. I always found excuses not to go to Centro’s (a way of avoiding memories of my awful social graces that night) until I went in seven years later to visit my friend, Impy Altznauer, who was temporarily working as a bartender. I had this wonderful appetizer and was redeemed. Catherine, who is now Dave’s wife and mother of two beautiful children, is nice enough to still talk to me.
2 links Italian sausage (or chicken sausage), sliced
3 tsp. oil
¾ cup onion, chopped finely
½ medium fennel bulb
1/3 cup chicken broth
15 ½ oz. canned navy beans, drainedParmesan cheese
Minced Parsley
Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium to medium-high heat. When it is hot, add sausage. Brown and remove.
Add onion and fennel and cook until the onion is translucent.
Add sausage back to the pan, along with beans and chicken broth.
Simmer for 15 minutes to meld flavors.
Sprinkle with parsley and parmesan cheese.
Squirt with lemon if desired.
4 1-cup servings