Saturday, February 14, 2009

Fennel Soup

The first cooking class I ever attended was at the Williams Club in New York City. Mark and I were the only 20-somethings in a group of middle aged people (like I am now). We learned to make rack of lamb, roasted winter vegetables, and this lovely fennel soup, which stole my heart. I even served it at my wedding, which was in the middle of the summer, so fond were my memories of this night.

4 large fennel, sliced
2 large onions, sliced
2 quarts chicken stock
1 stick butter (you can use less)
Salt and pepper
Melt butter in dutch oven. Add onions and cook slowly over medium-low heat for 20 minutes until soft and golden. Add fennel and cook another 10-15 minutes. Add stock, bring to a boil, lower heat and cook 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cool, puree in blender, and adjust seasonings.

No comments: